Phase 1 repairs to the Bartlett Carry Dam were just completed at a cost of just under $40,000. The work included construction of a coffer dam around the wing wall of the north spillway. This was done to determine the extent of the repairs needed.
If all goes to plan, Phase 2 will begin in early September. There is no question if the work will be done, but when. We will begin upon approval from all permitting agencies. The cost of Phase 2 is projected to be well in excess of $200,000.
The Board of the Upper Saranac Foundation held an emergency conference call on Tuesday August 21, 2018 to discuss how to fund this project. It was unanimously agreed that we would immediately implement a plan to raise $300,000 to repair the dam this fall. All board members have agreed to support this effort.
There are some keys points to take from this action:
- As we plan to go forward this year, there are no other immediate sources of funding available.
- As part of our long term plan, we will pursue other sources of funding for future repairs and yearly maintenance.
- The DEC oversees all aspects of Dam safety, including dictating and approving all necessary repairs.
- As the Upper Saranac Foundation owns the dam, it will be our responsibility to make the necessary repairs.
- If the repairs are not completed as mandated, New York State reserves the right to mandate a controlled breach of the dam. If that happens, there is a high probability that Lake level will drop approximately four (4) feet.
- This fundraising effort is not part of our normal year end campaign goal of $300,000. There will be a separate mailing in December.
We are asking all shore owners, relatives and friends in the watershed to consider making a contribution to support this effort. Only 35% of our shore-owners support the Upper Saranac Foundation on an annual basis. We hope those that haven’t in the past realize the importance of supporting this effort.
To our regular donors, we deeply appreciate your past support and hope you give as much as you can to support this effort. This contribution should be above your normal giving level. As a guide, a number of our board members have agreed to match their annual gift for this effort. We hope you will consider the same.
There are a number of ways to do this
- Make out a check in the name of Upper Saranac Foundation with Bartlett Carry Dam in the memo section of the check. Mail to: Upper Saranac Foundation, PO Box 564, Saranac Lake, NY 12983.
- Go to www.usfoundation.net/donate/give-a-gift/ and make a donation through PayPal or your Credit Card. Specify Bartlett Carry Dam when you fill out the form.
- For Gifts and Securities, contact Gene Richardson at (877) 249 1711 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will also be providing weekly updates on our website newsfeed. You can sign up at www.usfoundation.net.
The decision to go forward was a necessary one and not taken lightly. We all have a stake in this and we need your support.
Please consider how you can help.
Again, on behalf of the Board of the Upper Saranac Foundation, thank you for your support.
President, Upper Saranac Foundation
PO Box 564
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
To learn about the history of the Bartlett Carry Dam visit our web page at: https://usfoundation.net/bartlett-carry-dam/