Opportunities for Lake – Friendly Living
Upper Saranac Lake is Drinking Water—Think Before You Flush
When was the last time you had your septic tank pumped out and inspected? If you can’t remember, then it’s time! Maintaining your septic system so that it functions properly is an important step in protecting the lake’s water quality.
Everything flows down to the lake!
- Have your septic system pumped and inspected by a professional every 2-3 years.
- Flush only human waste & toilet paper down the toilet.
- Do not use soap or detergents in or around the water
- Do not put grease or harsh chemicals down any drain, ever!
- Don’t waste water. Conserving water eases the burden on your system.
- Never flush or empty the following down a drain: medications, paint thinner/varnish, motor, oil/gasoline.
Pollutants on roads, driveways, sidewalks and lawns are washed into streams and storm drains which empty into the lake. Common pollutants include oil/gas, pesticides, fertilizer, pet waste and effluent from failing septic systems.